It’s likely that you have a few favorite quotes and sayings to help you feel and stay motivated in many aspects of your life. If you’re hoping to adopt a baby, you’re probably reading tons of books and articles on the topic of adoption. Among those, there are also some great adoption quotes that can motivate you, make you smile, and help you feel connected to the larger adoption community. Use some of these inspirational quotes to help you get through the adoption process.
An adoption is a beautiful way to create a family, just like a birth is. So here are some wonderful quotes that celebrate adoption.
- "Families don't have to match. You don't have to look like someone else to love them." — Leigh Anne Tuohy
- "Our family is like a big beautiful patchwork quilt. Each of us different yet stitched together by love!" — author unknown
- "Adoption means I have a license to parent. Literally." — Nicole, adoptive mother
- "The adoption took time. The love arrived instantly." — author unknown
- "And while you will never see a reflection of your own eyes there, you see something that's just as powerful: a reflection of your complete and unstoppable love for this person who grew in the midst of your tears and laughter, and who, if torn from you, would be like losing yourself." — Kathy Lynn Harris
Some adoptive parents are still waiting to be connected with a birthmother or waiting for their child to be born. This waiting time can be stressful and hard, so it’s important to stay positive.
- "Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain." — Vivian Greene
- "Everything is hard before it is easy." — Goethe
- "I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two." — Bob Constantine
- "If you have a heart for adoption, don’t let fear stand in the way." — Doug Chapman
- "Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny..." — C.S. Lewis
- "There are times when the adoption process is exhausting and painful and makes you want to scream. But, I am told, so does childbirth." — Scott Simon
LGBT Adoption Quotes
One reason LGBT adoption is important is because these children learn how to become tolerant and accepting of diversity.
- "People ask me. 'What about gay adoptions? Interracial? Single Parent?' I say. 'Hey fine, as long as it works for the child and the family is responsible.' My big stand is this: Every child deserves a home and love. Period." — Dave Thomas
- "What makes you a man is not the ability to make a child, it’s the courage to raise one." — Barack Obama
A wonderful way to demonstrate the importance of LGBT adoption is by reading these adoption quotes from same-sex parents and their children.
- "I think it would be really boring if everybody had just a mom and a dad. It’s really special how I have a mom and a mama!" — Cody Jurs-Allen, second grader
- "We did a lot of research before we started. We realize that the odds are pretty good that he'll get picked on. But it's not that much different than being picked on for being short or for being anything. I was picked on in high school because I was short. My parents didn't realize to look out for that, to prepare me. Well, I'm one up on my parents, and I think he'll handle that adversity better than I." — Jon Holden Galluccio, gay adoptive father